Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Desperate housewives

I want to be a desperate housewife. You're probably thinking, "huh?" or "a what?". This is not a flattering image of a woman in most senses. Women, throughout history have been desperate for many things and been willing to sacrifice themselves or something treasured out of desperation for something they WANT. But what if my desperation isn't for the right clothes, the pampered life, attention from men, self advancing opportunity or a perfect figure. What if, instead, I am desperate for God. I am already His child, so what is the root of my desperation. I desperately want to KNOW Him more, need to SEEK Him more, to SERVE him more and live my life as a woman, wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend only and ever to Honor His name.

There are certainly days when the circumstances are trying. When I feel lost in a flurry of the busyness that I create for myself. When my plans fail, my confidence wavers and my heart
breaks. I should then, like I'm lost in a storm, cling to the one constant I have which is my Lord. He IS my mighty fortress.

There are also days when the circumstances seem to "go my way". When everything falls into place, is a success and I feel good. I should then, point all success back to the one who causes the earth to spin on it's axis and who holds all creation in the palm of His hand. My accomplishments, if not done for His glory, are futile and empty.

des·per·ate   [des-per-it, -prit]-
1. Having lost all hope; despairing.
2. Marked by, arising from, or showing despair:
3. Reckless or violent because of despair:
4. Undertaken out of extreme urgency or as a last resort:
5. Nearly hopeless; critical
6. Suffering or driven by great need or distress.
7. Extremely intense:

This definition is not flattering or even encouraging. In fact, it sounds rather pathetic and weak. I don't believe that having a spirit that is desperate for God equates to an anxious, erratic or hopeless demeanor. On the contrary, our dependance and reliance for the Lord should inspire and reveal His strengths and power. "In my weakness, He is strong".

The desperation I describe fuels a persons heart to be hungry for God's word, coveting time with Him and feeling anxious to know HIM more. I should be anxious or desperate for nothing else than my Lord. Nothing else than my Lord. Where is my time spent? Where is my
money spent? What is the focus of my desires? What have I given up out of desperation for something selfish? What could i give up to free me from worldly pressure and allow me to have an eternal perspective? Is it ALL about me...or ALL about Him?

I AM a desperate housewife- clinging to, anxious for, putting my hope in, intensely desperate for my God.

Hosea 6:3 (NKJV) Let us know, Let us pursue the knowledge of the LORD. His going forth is established as the morning; He will come to us like the rain, Like the latter and former rain to the earth.

Psalms 27:7-8 (NKJV) Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. {8} When You said, "Seek My face," My heart said to You, "Your face, LORD, I will seek."

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Isaiah 26:9 My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment