Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Christmas Collectibles

  Many people have Christmas collections. One family I know collects manger scenes. A good friend of mine has a collection of  angels and another, snowmen. Last year I posted about my Christmas  tree and this year it remains the same except we've added a few new ornaments that I love.

One of my new ornaments is from FAO Schwarz after a quick one day trip to New York...it rained the whole day...I plan to go back. But unless I don't, I have this ornament.



This ornament was given to us last year by my in-laws right after our dear Basset Hound, Blue died. He'd been a part of our family for 10 years. This is what he looked like the week before we had to put him down because he had severe arthritis and spinal cord problems. We miss him.

"Huh? But what about me? Do I get an ornament?", Stella-1yr 10months old.
Trust me, Lance wants to make her INTO an ornament. 


This year I'd like to tell you what I collect, what I hunt for and sometimes get a little giddy about during the time when we are decorating for Christmas...

I love Christmas snow globes. 

And like my tree, I'm a bit of a snob about WHICH snow globes I acquire. I have 23 so far that I have been collecting over the last 10 years or so.  Here is my collection, to date:





These are my snow globe ornaments. 
Adorable. Fragile. Breakable.
 I will love them as long as they are alive. 

 Love the star! Bought the Pooh when the kids were smaller. Who doesn't need a little "Pooh" in their lives. My kids crack up at that comment. 

 I love the snow globes that are placed creatively into an Christmas themed object. This Santa is a perfect example of that. The Mary Poppins globe we purchased after seeing the musical and though Disney is not necessarily Christmas, there is something fun and festive about them. Plus, it's "a jolly holiday with Mary"...sorry, couldn't help myself. 

 Snow is my nemesis. It lightly snowed today. No comment. 

 The lantern globe was a gift from my in-laws. It's lovely and unique. The HOPE globe I just acquired this year. Love it!! 

 This is also a new purchase from, as I mentioned above, my one day trip to New York, I hope to go back someday. I've actually been dreaming about going there for my whole adult life so, yes, I did go a little crazy. I love this snow globe for the copper-like base and the wreath that stands out on the Empire State building (I did not get to go to the top...long story...irritating, expensive, long story. Like I said, I need to go back.)

 One of my favorites! I love the old truck carrying the Christmas tree. I love the black base and the simplicity of it. Love, love, love.

Also a new acquisition, the elf on the shelf mini globe. I bought it because I gave into peer pressure when I saw other friends who had an "Elf on the Shelf" and this one was a globe, so I justified it.

I need help.

Did I mention that it lights up...seriously, help me. 


Two more of my favorites. Love the snowman inside the snowman...maybe it's the mother in me who can appreciate what it feels like to have a live being dancing around inside whilst I just sit there feeling round.

The other globe I spotted at Target and fell in love. It's so simple and cute and lovely and is actually one of my largest globes and I HAD TO HAVE IT. :)
The snowman's belly. 

Close up of the large globe. LOVE!

 Just cute. 

 Are you seeing a trend here? Yes another New York globe but this one was silver and it perfectly matched my silver angel on a pedestal globe and she needed a friend. 

 An all encompassing Disney themed globe. It plays music and glitter dances around the globe. It's the next best thing to being at Disneyland at Christmas and there are no lines to see it. 

 Bought this one early on in my motherhood years right after I had read the children's book,
  The Legend of the Three Trees
and loved the representation of them here. Plus it has this cool faux wood base and cylindrical shape. I adore this one. It sits by my manger scene because of the relevance. I recommend the book if you don't have one.

 OK, yes this is another New York globe...but look how cute the little taxi cab is!!!! 

 Right, right...another New York globe, EXCEPT it's actually of the Macy's day Parade, so it's different. This one was given to me by my mother when she shopped at Macy's a few years ago and this was the gift they gave out if you spent so much money or something like that. It's precious. Don't judge me. 


 Got this one the year my first son was born. Another gift from my mom...In fact, I'm wondering if it was she who started me on this little obsession. Anyhow, it's a Martha Stewart Collection and is dated which is cool. 

Another fun, unique globe that I bought when the kids were small. 

So cute. This one sits by my Advent Calendar, which is a house so it seemed to go well with it! 

My advent Calendar. Not a globe but something I cherish. It was a splurge years ago but I look at it like a family heirloom. The kids love opening the doors every day and starting tomorrow, each day will hold two verses from the biblical Christmas story which is why we really celebrate. 


Here is something else in my house that means a great deal to me. Except, I'm not talking about the stockings themselves. I am so grateful for the gift of my family. They are precious to me and I feel so fortunate to be able to know them and blessed to have them. Together we collect memories together and prayerfully grow in our relationships to each other and to our Lord. 

God is good. 
Here is my manger scene. I love this piece. It's part of a beautiful love story that we each are a part of. 

God is merciful. 

The birth of our Lord. The gift I cherish most because of what he came to sacrifice and give for us.

God's love and grace are amazing. 


Luke 2:9-12
And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. (10) And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. (11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. (12) And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”




No comments:

Post a Comment