Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chapter Five- God's Answers

Becoming A Woman Of Prayer-Online Study

Chapter Five-
God's Answers
(Becoming A Woman Of Prayer, © Cynthia Heald, June 2005.  Used by permission of NavPress, all rights reserved.  www.navpress.com)

I sought the Lord, and He answered me,
And delivered me from all my fears.

PSALM 34:4

This last weekend was kind of rough for me emotionally. I believe it's stresses were the product of spiritual warfare and the enemy was hitting me where I am the weakest, my thoughts and my pride. I don't want to go into details so as to not hurt others that were involved, but this weekend, I was made aware of a problem someone had with one of my children. 

This particular incident was upsetting all by itself but then my mind began to flood with all other "comments" that had been said without thought, through mocking lips and laughter by others in regards to my children. My heart ached for my child, my own self esteem as a mom was broken and I suddenly felt so inept and incapable.  

An occasion was set where my child and the other family would be together and, I confess that I grew a little....ok, pretty darn anxious about it. I talked with my child about restoring relationships and loving others like Christ has called us to. I prayed and prayed some more. I contemplated going to the other family's house and through tears trying to "fix" things on my child's behalf. My dear friends prayed with me, literally in the street, a block from where the event was taking place. We prayed for God's Spirit to cover them, for peace and love to blanket their hearts and for the healing of whatever hurts had occurred. 

Thankfully, the mom who hosted the event kept me updated with how it was going, texted me pics 
and encouragement that things were going "great!" The next day I received reports from the host mom and from my daughter that everything was "good". That my child grabbed the hand of the other child when they arrived and took them aside privately and said "I'm sorry if there's anything I've done to hurt your feelings....Are we still friends?" They agreed there have been mutual hurt but then 
hugged and mended their friendship. 

God answered specifically in this instance and He moved in these children to speak, to forgive and to love. I am so grateful for how these things matter to our great God and that These moments are lessons for me to trust Him and wait. I could've interfered and tried to fix it all myself, but then the lesson for these kids and for myself would've been missed. He heard us and He answered us with more of Himself. 

This chapter discusses Gods answers to our prayer and breaks it up into Gods Gift in Prayer and God's Answers for Good. (1)

Gods Gift in Prayer

Philippians 4:6-7

New International Version (NIV)
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

"Spiritual lust makes me demand an answer from God, instead of seeking God Who gives the answer…. The meaning of prayer is that we get hold of God, not the answer."
-Oswald Chambers (2)

The gift: Him. His peace. 

God's Answers for Good


Cynthia references four different passages of of scripture using Abraham, Solomom, Mary & Martha and Paul and even Jesus prtition in prayer prior to his arrest to point out how God answers prayer, not as we will or for our glory...for our good and His glorification!

"We all tend to prescribe the answers to our prayers. We think that God can come in only one way. But Scripture teaches us that God sometimes answers our prayers by allowing things to become much worse before they become better. He may sometimes do the opposite of what we anticipate…. Yet it is a fundamental principle in the life and walk of faith that we must always 
be prepared for the unexpected when we are dealing with God.
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (3)

This chapter/God's word is so full of this truth (SO much)  and it makes me thankful. Thankful 
God's way is better. Thankful He works to align our hearts to His....that's a gift! Thankful that if  we "let go" and "let God", He lets us see Him work! 

Thank you Jesus for being the perfect sacrifice and that in you I am redeemed, death is conquered and God is gloried. Thank you for working in mine and my child's heart this week. Thank you for revealing more of yourself in our prayers and providing your peace....in my heart and in our children. 


Questions: How have you seen God answer your specific prayers? How has God changed you through prayer thereby aligning your prayers with His will? 

(1-3) Becoming A Woman Of Prayer, © Cynthia Heald, June 2005.  Used by permission of NavPress, all rights reserved.  www.navpress.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment